Standoff with Law Enforcement on I-94 near Miles City

Man Arrested After Armed Standoff with Law Enforcement on I-94 near Miles City

Miles City, Montana – In a dramatic turn of events on Tuesday evening, a man was arrested following a two-hour armed standoff with law enforcement officers on Interstate 94, just east of Miles City.
According to a press release from the Custer County Sheriff’s Office, the incident began when officers and emergency medical services (EMS) responded to a report of a single vehicle rollover crash at mile marker 139 on I-94. Upon arrival, an EMS crew made contact with the male driver who was still inside the vehicle.
During the interaction, the male driver brandished a firearm, escalating the situation into a standoff. The suspect barricaded himself inside the crashed vehicle, refusing to cooperate with law enforcement.
As the situation unfolded, additional officers were called in, and a perimeter was established around the suspect vehicle. For the safety of the public, Interstate 94 was temporarily shut down in both directions.
The tension escalated further when the suspect fired a single round from his firearm into his own vehicle. Fortunately, no law enforcement or EMS personnel were injured during the incident.
After hours of negotiation and tactical maneuvers, law enforcement successfully removed the suspect from the vehicle and took him into custody at approximately 10:40 pm. The suspect has since been booked into the Custer County Detention Center.
The investigation into the incident is still ongoing, and authorities have not released any information regarding the motive behind the suspect’s actions. The Custer County Sheriff’s Office is working diligently to gather all the necessary evidence and statements to determine the appropriate charges.
According to the Custer County Sheriff’s Office, the suspect has not been identified and he is not cooperating with authorities.
As the investigation continues, authorities are grateful for the swift response and cooperation of all the law enforcement agencies involved. Their dedication and professionalism ensured the safety of the public and the successful resolution of the standoff.